Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Marriage

The Catholic Religion considers marriage a sacrament and weddings are often held in churches. I am now a wedding officiant, and have licence to also conduct funerals. I have lots of experience attending weddings and planning a few. I have lots of experience in counseling and listening to problems with relationships. But I do not have a degree in divinity and I am not an ordained minister. I simply applied to the The First National Church in America which has a Navajo background. Because of freedom of religion, anyone can be a minister. I have deep religious convictions, so I do not take this lightly. Maybe my romantic notions compelled me to become certified to perform weddings. So now I must register in the State when I want to conduct a ceremony. Also a couple must get a license which takes a couple days- so no shotgun weddings! I would most certainly want to meet with a couple first and I would not do a ceremony if there were doubts about compatibility. Now, I have a yearning to save a church on Main Street Ashtabula to make into a wedding chapel. It will cost 15K which is tempting , but it will cost 50K to make repairs. Anyone want to invest? I hate to see it demolished, but I am sure there are plenty of healthy and struggling churches that might be happy to have my attention and talents. This transition will be an interesting one.

2 comments:

  1. enroll in prepare/enrich training. it will help you counsel folks who want to get married... and then you can also do retreats with married folks... who what to figure out where they are now in their marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beach Walkin, I love the idea!

    ReplyDelete